a case of the tuesdays
yes, i’m super stoked about only 2 more months to go, but there are those nagging moments that start to get in your head – you’re already tired now, how are you going to do it then? what about your knees? don’t you just want to enjoy the rest of the summer? and did i mention why am i so tired???
i’m starting to think it might be my diet. i literally can fall asleep at any hour of the day for multiple hours these days because i’m so drained from multiple dog walks on top of the marathon miles. how do i go about changing my diet without making it some super intense ordeal and impossible to eat with friends? it looks like this article from runners world may have some insight…
But when you’re upping the miles, adding just one of these mini meals per day gives you the extra carbs you need to keep running strong.
1 cup vanilla yogurt + 1 cup fresh fruit (60 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: provides over 40 percent of your daily calcium needs
1 cup orange juice + 1 banana (52 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: packs almost 200 percent of the Daily Value for vitamin C
1 slice banana nut bread + 1 cup skim milk (about 45 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: gives you 25 percent of the Daily Value for calcium
1 PowerBar energy bar + 8 oz PowerBar Endurance sports drink (62 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: provides plenty of sodium and potassium to keep you well hydrated
Smoothie of 2 cups skim or soy milk + 1 1/2 cups strawberries + 2 Tbsp soy
protein (about 50 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: contributes about 5 grams of fiber
1 1/2 cups multigrain cereal + 1 1/2 cups skim milk (54 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: contains over 100 percent of the Daily Value for iron
1 bagel + 1 banana + 1 Tbsp nut butter (about 75 grams carbs)
Bonus Benefit: provides 12 grams of protein
on that note, last night for dinner we had one of my new favorites that i discovered from pinterest, a goat cheese and avocado concoction on top of artisan bread – it is the best. like the boyfriend requests it, the best. you must try it!
so, since i’ve made this a bunch by now here are a couple things that i have tweaked –
- add some cayenne pepper – who doesnt love some spice?
- target rosemary bread – i know… target for bread?!? but trust me, this stuff is made by the gods
- limes – gotta add some lime juice. it makes for a great kick of citrus
- exnay on the mint, sub cilantro – mint just seems weird. to be honest, i didnt try it first, but i just cant bring myself to. stick with the cilantro and its awesome
- meat – c’mon… add a little protein and you really do have a full on meal. one time i toasted some proscuitto and layered it on the toast with the goat cheese/avocado mix on top – um… can you say delish?? last night, i fried some bacon, crunched it up, and mixed it in with the goat cheese/avocado.
so mine isnt as pretty as her blog, but looks dont necessarily mean how it tastes 🙂 the bf and i were both part of the clean plate club!