maybe i didn’t get away pain free from the marathon?
at this point who knows, but here is what i do know happened –
- immediately after the marathon i felt like i had a bad cold (chalked it up to being outside for 5 hours running and just the usual post-running stuffies)
- since the marathon, i have had shoulder pain that felt deep in the joint and/or muscle related. at times, i had limited range of motion due to pain and struggled picking things up. it got worse when i slept on that side.
- yesterday, i woke up with a circular spot of redness that was tender to the touch and warm just above my armpit (ick armpits are gross!)
- late yesterday afternoon, the redness was spreading around my arm and not getting better
- sat in the ER and ultimately left with a diagnosis of shingles on my shoulder. everyone seemed pretty okay about it, so i didn’t stress too much. picked up my meds, started to take them and just relieved i knew what was going on
- today, the redness was almost completely gone but instead i had a weird burning sensation in my face (think windburn, but i just woke up so odd…), a noticeable tightness, slight swelling and redness to my face
- alarmed that something may have spread, i went to a primary care doc and he seems to think i have nothing to be worried about and highly unlikely to have shingles. he encouraged me to stop taking the medicine and that’s about it.
- here’s where we stand now – i am still taking the meds. no way am i risking that it truly is shingles and it flares back up. two – my face still burns, swollen and just weird… so im clueless as to whats going on. fingers crossed it is all settled!
maybe it’s my sign that marathons are a once in lifetime kinda thing 🙂
- Posted in: Uncategorized